Monday, June 24, 2013

And Then There Were Seven.

Seven days. 
168 hours.
1,440 minutes.
604,800 seconds.

That's how much time I have remaining until surgery.  I can't believe that the process I started in April--just two short months ago--is almost ready to really begin.  Up until now, it's been a flurry of appointments, consultations and workshops.  I've spent as much time as I can on the Vertical Sleeve Talk forums, reading and asking lots of questions.  I feel as well prepared as I can expect to be.

I'm still nervous about the actual operation and complication risks.  I'm nervous about really embracing the lifestyle changes for which I'm signing my body up, for the rest of my life.  Can I be successful after a lifetime of failing again and again at weight loss and control of my eating?  I have to believe the answer to that is "YES". 

It's going to be a new beginning, and as one of my beloved friends once told me in a time of personal crisis, "change is like rebirth, and all birth is painful"; but it's also miraculous.  I think I'm ready for my miracle of hard work to begin, in just a week's time.  

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being so close! I got really nervous the day before and spent the whole day compulsively hitting WLS websites :).

    Fortunately, once they get you in and start the IV and give you the happy juice, all is well :).

    I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Elaine! I honestly don't know how I would cope with this process without feedback and support from others who've been through WLS. Thank goodness for the Internet!
    I'll do my best to update the blog as soon as I can, post-op. Fingers crossed that it all goes without a hitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I went in today for my pre-op testing and got to see the hospital! It really put me at ease knowing where I would be and the general lay-out of the facility! I'm on the same countdown with you! I'm taking my computer to the hospital with me... so we'll check-in after surgery on 7/1!! Mine is at 10am! See you on the thin side!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot, Kristin!! I checked in my "bariatric binder" that has all the details of what to do when, and I *should* have my surgery check-in time on Friday (the business day prior to surgery). I am going to have a REALLY hard time sleeping the night before!
      I will bring my computer, or Nook, or phone, or SOMETHING so that I can check in here and on VST!
      One thing I'm not-so-much looking forward to is that the post-op rooms at my hospital are semi-private. Roomate. Oh, boy, this could be interesting, LOL.

      Delete

Got something to share or want to know? Ask here.