Thursday, June 27, 2013

Getting Ready for a New Start

With just a very few days till my surgery, I'm trying to set myself up for success in the details.  I need to finalize my grocery list and make sure I'm fully stocked on cream-of-whatnot soups, sugar-free puddings, almond milk and protein powder. 
My bag needs packing--I'm NEVER this far behind on packing when there's a trip to be had--and I need to clean/launder as much as possible so that I'm not feeling swamped post-op. 
I had my final meeting with the surgeon yesterday.  He's a talented doctor and certainly knows his business, but he's not much with bedside manner.  On my first meeting, he breezed through in under a minute; this time I got him to slow down a little and talk, for oh, about two minutes.

I asked what bougie size he normally uses for sleeve surgeries.  He looked over his shoulder at me, turned around and said "Hmm, you've been reading too much."  My response was, "No, actually, I'm a teacher, and I think it's important to educate myself as a patient."  He laughed and told me all about bougie sizes and how at the blahblahblah conference of 2009, it was decided that smaller bougies give no discernible benefit to weight loss and actually seem to cause more complications yadda yadda.  Long story short, I will be sleeved using a 40 French bougie.  Ta-da!  Good to know, if only for the sake of trivia.

Okay, I need to buckle down and get moving on all the stuff that needs moving on before Sunday evening. 
If I don't blog till after my surgery, don't panic--I promise to be online and posting updates as soon as I feel remotely human again. 

Peace and love to all of you who read my ramblings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to share or want to know? Ask here.